SMSF trustees have the freedom to invest as they choose to grow their retirement savings, which is why it is vital that they check in on their investment strategy regularly. Maximising your retirement nest egg depends on how well your investment strategy functions at different phases in your working life. This is why your investment strategy should shift according to your changing financial circumstances. A new job, fluctuating markets, changes in tax laws or your retirement drawing closer may mean it’s time to switch up your investments.
Here is a checklist to get you started.
- Map your risk profiles
- Consider circumstances including risk, diversity, liquidity and member’s circumstances
- Take out insurance for members
- Confirm all fund investments comply with super laws and are allowed under a trust deed
- Plan to regularly review your investment strategy
- Document any decision about investment strategy